Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Michele Armstrong

Michele Armstrong from Vulcan was a guest speaker. Michele is a Sr. Manager of Corporate Recruiting. Michele talked to us about recruiting employees, she made a few main points on hiring. She said you need to have job descriptions for each career path within each area. Employees need a growth path. If employees are to receive stock options this needs to be set up early. I found it very interesting that companies use Craigslist as a primary hiring front, I have used Craigslist to find a job, but I figured businesses go straight to things like Monster.com.
She also spoke to us about interviews. I have heard most of this information before, but she clarified a few things. Such as the phone interview, I thought a phone interview was an alternative to an in person interview, but it is supplementary. They verify your resume and get a feel for you before they invite you for an in person interview. Another thing that stood out was the tie. She said it is better not to wear a tie to an interview, when I thought it was a requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment